Monday, September 6, 2010

Mom's Chili

This is my mom's chili recipe. It's simmering on the stove top as I am writing this. Like all my other recipes so far, it is a family favorite. This is exactly the way my mom makes it except for a few changes. We usually use ground beef, but we had some ground turkey we had to use up, so I'm using that. I also chose to use sliced mushrooms, which we don't normally use. Other than that, it is the same as my mom's recipe.

Ingredients:

1-2 lbs Ground Beef or Chicken
Celery (chopped)
Onion (chopped)
3 14 oz cans diced and /or stewed tomatoes
3 8 oz cans tomato sauce (or paste)
3 14 oz cans beans (kidney, white, and/or black)
dash pepper
1 tsp salt
2-3 tsp chili powder
pinch chipotle seasoning (optional)

Directions:

Saute beef w/ celery and onion until beef is no longer pink and onion is translucent. You can also saute mushrooms as well.  Add tomatoes, sauce, and spices. Do not drain the tomatoes. The liquid will become part of the chili. You can substitute some of the sauce for tomato paste if you want your chili to be thicker. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. If the chili starts to boil, turn down the heat. Add beans. Do not drain the cans. The liquid will become part of the chili. You can also add canned corn. Heat for 5 minutes and serve.

Note: You can also put this in a crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. Just saute beef onion and celery first.

My chili just finished simmering. Time to add the beans. Just added the beans. For this recipe, I'm using 1 can each of light kidney beans, dark kidney beans, and great northern beans. We usually use cannelloni beans (aka white kidney beans), but we didn't have any today. So I'm using great northern beans instead. Chili is done. Gotta take a picture.

Big Pot o Chili

Mmm is that good!!!

The chili looks so good, I gotta try some for myself. Mmm it is so good. I gotta finish this bowl of chili. I'll be back tomorrow with 4 Step Chicken

1 comment:

  1. Yummy Ellen! I love this recipe, especially on a cool, rainy day. I keep lots of canned beans and tomatoes of all kinds on hand and this is a great use. I have added corn and black beans with good results. Penzey's Chili 3000 is a great blend if you like it spicy and flavorful. Of course you know I like to use the crock pot so I don't have to cook when I get home :)

    ReplyDelete