Sunday, September 5, 2010

Fried Rice

I first encountered fried rice in my Skills for Living class. Unfortunately it contained soy sauce. I made a version that used gluten free soy sauce until I found out I was allergic to soy. This is the modified version that does not contain soy. It has become a family favorite and I hope it does for you.

Ingredients:

1 white onion
4 green onions
1 lb white mushrooms
1 red bell pepper or 1 yellow bell pepper (you can use both)
frozen vegetables
4 cups white rice (or brown rice)
2 cups beef broth
2 cups water
chicken broth

Directions:
Start by cooking the rice. A rice cooker is very useful if you have one. (It is a great time saver). If you don't you can use a saucepan and cook the rice for about 20 minutes and then fluff with a fork. Use equal parts water and beef broth. (You may need to adjust the proportions if you are using a saucepan) The beef broth will give the rice the same color as soy sauce. While the rice is cooking, heat oil in a pan. I use grapeseed oil, but you can also use olive oil or canola oil. Chop the onions and bell peppers and slice the mushrooms. Saute until the mushrooms are browned and the onion is translucent. Add your frozen vegetables. I like to use a stir fry mix, but you can use pretty much anything you have in your freezer. I also like to use frozen peas. Cook the frozen vegetables until they are thawed. If you want to add any other fresh vegetables such as broccoli, add them at the same time as the frozen vegetables. You can also add lunch meat if you want, but I prefer a meatless version. I also sometimes add fresh herbs. Parsley and rosemary are great and I sometimes also like thyme in it. When the rice is done fluff it and put it in a bowl. Add the vegetable mixture. You can also add some salt at this point to make up for the sodium that is usually in soy sauce. Or if you want a low sodium version, you can leave out the salt. The mixture might be a little dry, so stir in some chicken broth (or beef broth if you choose).  It should have the consistency of a risotto when you are done. Serve. If you want you can garnish with fresh herbs or with green onions. This recipe is very flexible and you can use pretty much anything you want. It is also great for leftovers and can be eaten either cold or warm. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment