Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Let's Talk About Food Allergies

Ever since I came home from Spain, I've felt a desire to talk about my food restrictions more. Before I left, I was unsure how my homestay was going to work out with my food restrictions. Fortunately, my program was able to place me with a family where the mother was gluten free. Now I want to specifically address the food allergy question with prospective students because I want to show them that they don't have to be worried about that going into the program.

When I decided to revive this blog, I initially did so after having enjoyed maintaining my study abroad blog so much. However, in restarting this blog and conversing with friends about my food restrictions, I have begun to learn about other people who also have to avoid similar foods as me. This never would have happened if I had not decided to talk about it more.

With that said, I will be spending the next few days updating some of my pages to reflect some of the things I have learned since I last posted regularly. Ultimately I want this blog to be useful for those who have similar restrictions. If anyone has suggestions for improving this blog or anything specific they would like me to address, please feel free to comment or message me. Already I have gotten several questions from people that I intend to answer via this blog. For example, I have already gotten a lot of questions from people about the nature of my food restrictions. Tomorrow I will make a post specifically addressing the difference between celiac disease (which is what I have) and gluten intolerance. I have even been asked about how my other food allergies relate to celiac disease, so I will address that in tomorrow's post as well.

Again I want to emphasize that this blog is for the readers. When I first started this blog at age 16, I wanted it to be a resource for other people who had allergies similar to mine. Now I have the added goal of using this blog as a platform for talking more about my food restrictions. By talking more about it, I'm hoping to remind people with food allergies that they are not alone. For anyone who reads this blog with or without food allergies, let's talk about food allergies!

No comments:

Post a Comment