Friday, September 13, 2013

Baking with Chocolate and Banana

 
School is officially in full swing, and that means that my time in the kitchen is rather limited. But I have resolved that I will bake every week. I made some chocolate muffins on Monday, one of the few days I have actually not stayed late after classes. There is so much to do on campus that I hardly want to leave and go home.

 
 
I also made banana bread from a recipe in Carol Fenster's Wheat Free recipes and Menus. I don't like her recipes as much, but I thought the banana bread looked good, so I decided to try it.

 
I started out mixing the sugar, brown sugar and oil in a bowl.

 
Then I added the wet ingredients.

 
For the flour, I used the all- purpose blend from Bob's Red Mill. Then I mixed in the other dry ingredients.

 
I like to use bananas that are at the peak of their ripeness because they are the sweetest at this point. The recipe I used called for two bananas. I like to mash them with a fork on a small plate or saucer.

 
Then it was time to mix it all up. The key is to add a little bit of the dry ingredients, combine, and then add a bit of banana. Eventually everything will be added and the batter is ready to go in the oven.

 
Just like regular banana bread; although the bean flour may seem overpowering at first if you're not used to it. I think the bean flour makes a loaf that is far less crumbly than typical gluten- free bread, so I like to use it despite the acquired taste of goods baked with it.

 
And what is banana bread without tea? I made a cup of my favorite chai tea from Teavana and then cut the first slice of banana bread. I put the rest in the freezer, and when I want a slice, I thaw it in the fridge the night before and return the loaf to the freezer after I cut a slice.


And in case you're wondering what I did with the gluten-free bread, here is a picture of a lunch I recently brought to work. I slathered on some roasted red pepper hummus, added some bell peppers, and that was my sandwich. A few grapes made the perfect complement.

No comments:

Post a Comment